I've often heard children say, "There's nothing to do today". I beg to differ. I'd like to inspire you to do something. Anything. Read. Bake. Hike. Fish. Plant. Sail. Climb. Play. Reach. Move. Laugh. Dream; and take time to sit with me on The Old Granite Step.

Saturday, January 9, 2016

Drying your own cranberries.

 Cranberries can be used in a variety of different ways.

When I made the Cranberry and Chestnut Brioche Popovers, it called for dried cranberries.  I had a couple of bags in the freezer, so why purchase more?  I boiled them for about 15 minutes; similar to the process used when making cranberry sauce, but I didn't add any sugar.
I drained the cranberries after boiling and laid them out on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
They quickly began to shrivel up; losing excess moisture.  Perfect for the use I intended.  After about 20 minutes in the oven, I shut the oven off and let them remain there for the afternoon.  They weren't technically "dry", but were similar in texture to Craisins; without the sugar.  Easy to do and makes a great snack too.

For more information about harvesting cranberries along with another recipe, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment