I've often heard children say, "There's nothing to do today". I beg to differ. I'd like to inspire you to do something. Anything. Read. Bake. Hike. Fish. Plant. Sail. Climb. Play. Reach. Move. Laugh. Dream; and take time to sit with me on The Old Granite Step.

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Replacing an old double hung window with a stained glass window.

Shopping consignment stores and antique shops is a favorite past time of ours.  We were

delighted to find this old stained glass window on Craigslist for $80.  A little bartering and we took it home for $60.  The window had been taken out of a house before it was demolished.  Before making the purchase, we checked the glass for any breaks.  It is possible to replace a pain of stained glass but it's easier if you don't have to.

I laid the window out and began removing all of the old putty.  This putty was already crumbling, so a small screwdriver was all I needed to coax the putty off the window.  You need to be extra careful when doing this or you may break the glass!  A gentle hand is needed.
This was the worst corner of the window but was an easy repair.
You can't rush this part of the project!
I carefully vacuumed the edges to remove the last bits of old putty and dust.
Glazier points are small metal pieces that hold the glass in place.  You need to be careful when using them.  They are very small and sharp!  You can find glazier points at your local hardware store.
A very gentle push with a small flat head screwdriver is all that's needed.
I used two or three around each edge but it depends on the size of the individual window.
In this instance, I chose to use window putty.  On a newer window I may choose to use window caulk.  It's a faster process.
The putty is laid along the edge of the glass.  Using a putty knife, I scraped the excess putty off the window.  I let the putty dry for a couple of weeks before painting even though the can said a couple of days.
Removing the old window was easy because it was so rotten.  You can see that we used spray foam insulation in this particular section of the house.  It was fairly easy to enlarge the opening for the new window which was about a half an inch larger than the one we removed.  A new frame was then built.
It's a perfect fit.
As the sun set the first night the window was in, we knew it was the right choice. 
A couple of coats of primer were needed because the window was so damaged by water over the years.
The blues at the top of the window are my favorite.
We installed this window with the intent of keeping it closed.  Since it didn't come with a storm window, we had a single pane storm made which will help protect the antique stained glass.
The window is in our mudroom so it's nice to have the large "privacy" portion of the window.  Now I need to decide on a trim color for the room.  It's nice to live with something like this for a while while deciding which color will be best.  I'll post on the storage bench that we built under the window in the near future.

I love the window in the early morning when the sun starts to come up.  Enchanting.

No comments:

Post a Comment