I've often heard children say, "There's nothing to do today". I beg to differ. I'd like to inspire you to do something. Anything. Read. Bake. Hike. Fish. Plant. Sail. Climb. Play. Reach. Move. Laugh. Dream; and take time to sit with me on The Old Granite Step.

Saturday, December 24, 2016

A quick Cinnamon Bread for any morning.


My mom received her Betty Crocker New Picture Cook Book for
Christmas in 1961.  It's been open and closed so many times over the last 55 years, that the binding is completely broken, the pages are falling out and many of the pages are stained.  But it's that well-loved look that is so appealing!  In my search for a quick bread that I could gift to friends this Christmas, I found this recipe for Quick White Nut Bread.   Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix 3/4 cup of sugar with 2 tbsp. of shortening (I used butter).
Add 1 egg and mix well.
Stir in 1 1/2 cups of milk (I used 2%).
Stir until combined.
Grease and flour your bread pan.
Combine 3 cups of sifted flour with 3 1/2 tsp. of baking powder and 1 tsp. of salt.
Stir dry mixture into wet mixture.
Stir until smooth.
You'll need 3/4 cup of chopped nuts.  I chose walnuts.
Add chopped nuts to bread mixture.
Stir until blended.
Pour into prepared bread pan.
I have since tweaked this recipe a bit by adding a tsp. of cinnamon to the dry mixture and sprinkling the bread with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar.  It smells wonderful when baking!
This bread makes wonderful toast!  You may choose to butter it or use raspberry jam.  One neighbor said he loved it with peanut butter.  It's a terrific last minute baked good idea for Christmas morning!

Merry Christmas from The Old Granite Step!

No comments:

Post a Comment